Re: systemd and plymouth not caching LUKS passphrase

Hi,

On Wed, Jun 22, 2016 at 09:14:21AM +0200, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
> It is my understanding that both systemd per se starting on v227 and
> plymouth will cache passwords[1]. However, there is no caching of LUKS
> passwords in my setting, a laptop with two encrypted partitions,
> corresponding to root and swap, and where both share the passphrase.
snip
> I wonder if there is something I need to set/unset, or if I need to create
> some (which?) script in /etc/systemd/system.

Looking at the manpage[1], it would appear you need to specify the argument
"--keyname=somename" to the systemd-ask-password process in order for it to
try and cache the passphrases. You would need to use the same keyring name
for each invocation and the subsequent invocations need to also have
--accept-cached.

At boot time you aren't invoking systemd-ask-password yourself, so we need
to figure out what calls it and how to configure *that* to pass the keyname
argument through.

I haven't tested it, but if you copy and override
/lib/systemd/system/systemd-ask-password-console.service to /etc/systemd/system
and add the two arguments, that might work. (you might also need to regenerate
the initramfs).

[1] https://www.freedesktop.org/software/systemd/man/systemd-ask-password.html#

--
Jonathan Dowland
Please do not CC me, I am subscribed to the list.