Re: Mailing-list configuration

On Thursday 16 June 2016 13:47:54 Dan Purgert wrote:
> In addition, I feel that both parties in the original problem
> (apparently Lisi and Nicolas -- please correct me if I'm wrong) each
> have some fault in the matter.  Mainly, this seems to stem from each of
> you assuming that the other's MUA behaves similarly to your own, and
> then perhaps having sent one (or several) mails that were viewed by the
> other as inflammatory; even if you didn't necessarily mean it that way.

You are right that I am probably "newer" than Nicolas in this field, though
probably older in the world in general :-/.  You are wrong in saying that I
assumed anything.  I requested him to cease sending me personal replies AS
WELL AS list replies as getting the two causes me problems, and the CoC
specifically forbids ccs..  He initially did so, and I thanked him for it.
(The CoC also, of course, specifically forbids me to complain about ccs on
list!)  After that, I did not really engage with him, apart from asking him
what was wrong with my headers, and, then, how to put to put it right.  I
have no idea how Mutt works, and would not presume to suggest that I did.

As for changing my own behaviour, I have done so.   I would be perfectly
willing to set up every folder in my email client to use different headers,
as advocated by Nicolas, but I have no idea how to do it.  I had enough
trouble making the different folders use different SMTP servers!!

As a direct result of this thread, I have deleted the "reply" icon button from
my email client.  This forces me to stop and think every time I want to reply
to a mail, private or list, and prevents me from clicking on "reply" in cases
where a correspondent on this list has put his or her name in a reply to
header.  In these circumstances that header over-rides the setting in my
email client to reply to list if the button is clicked.  I now can't click
the button and accidentally reply to sender.  I apologise to those to whom I
have done it in the past when I forgot - too frequently - *not* to click on
the icon.

In the end, however, we are all at each others' mercy. :-/

This morning someone obeyed the CoCs and did not send me a cc - instead he
added me to the recipient list.  It gives Jesuitical a new meaning.  I do not
understand my fellow human beings.  How can anyone get pleasure from taking
trouble to be a nuisance????

Lisi