Re: Mailing-list configuration

Le nonidi 29 prairial, an CCXXIV, Andrew McGlashan a écrit :
> If you see no reply-to header, then only do reply to list as already
> instructed with L for mutt, which I don't use.
>
> Always do reply to list, it's simple.  IF someone says they are not
> subscribed, please CC me, then take that instruction as explicit from
> the email that you are replying to ... again, simple.
>
> I used to do reply-all almost always, now I am more careful due to
> requests from others being annoyed.  Reply To LIST works perfectly well
> for most people and the odd miss due to an extra instruction on a per
> email basis is a different problem.

I choose this mail to make my global answer because it raises the right
points. But this is a reply to all the mails that argue similar positions.

Yes, getting it right is simple. Once. But you are not seeing the big
picture here. We are not talking about one mail, we are talking about a lot
of mails, from several mailing-lists with different attitudes, and also from
private discussions, including discussions with people who are usually found
on mailing-lists (and that therefore seem at first glance to be on the
list). People need get the recipient list right every single time. Even when
paying attention, mistakes happen. The more rules there are to follow
manually, the more mistakes happen.

The whole point of using computers is to automate the stupid tedious tasks
in order to save time for the humans for the interesting creative tasks.
Choosing the list of recipient can be automated, most of the time. You
actually have to wonder why people are so adamant at being good at the
tedious automatable tasks; maybe they need to hide how bad they are at the
creative tasks: "I have nothing interesting to say, but at least I say it to
exactly the right people".

  Conclusion #1: selecting the list of recipients must be automated as much
  as possible.

  Claim (proven later): automation is possible.

The efficiency of automation can be evaluated objectively, it is called the
entropy. The result, as expected, is that the most efficient case is when
there is a single button that does the work almost every time. The worst
case is when there are several buttons that are used all roughly the same
number of times.

With that in mind, you realize that the reply-to-list feature is bad UI
design: it moves away from the one-button-does-it-all case (entropy = ~0)
towards two-buttons-half-the-time (entropy = ~0.7). This is painfully
obvious if you realize that the reply-to-list feature just refuses (at least
the Mutt implementation) to work for private discussions.

  Conclusion #2: the reply-to-list is not good automation.

Now, let us examine the consequences of mistakes when selecting the CCs. As
often in this kind of cases, there are two possible mistakes: forgetting a
wanted CC or adding an unwanted CC. An unwanted CC is a minor annoyance for
the recipient. It is not even spam: they wanted to see the contents of the
mail, only not directly in their mailbox.

A forgotten CC is a much more severe issue: it is breaking the thread for
that particular recipient. Even more so, since people who reply to the mail
with the forgotten CC will not have the CC either: all the subsequent
discussion is diverted from the person who was most interested in it.

It is the same reasoning with spam filters: people usually prefer seeing a
few spams in their inbox than missing a legitimate, possibly urgent, mail.

  Conclusion #3: when in doubt, rules and automation must err in favour of
  CCs.

With that in mind, let us examine the "code of conduct":

# When replying to messages on the mailing list, do not send a carbon copy
# (CC) to the original poster unless they explicitly request to be copied.

How does that work, exactly? How is the "original poster" supposed to
express that request? Once? Consider people who are involved in half a dozen
threads spanning over more than a week. Are they supposed to remember every
request of CC by everybody in the thread? That can not work. Or should the
request be made on every single mail? People will forget it, and people who
reply will forget to take it into account. All these honest mistakes result
in broken threads.

It does not work. Not really, not with the volume of a Debian mailing-list,
and not with the volume of other mail that someone who can make the most
useful contributions (someone involved in fixing bugs or developing other
Libre software projects) handles. Automation is the only way to go.

  Conclusion #4: this clause of the "code of conduct" does not work and
  therefore must be ignored.

How should it work. It is not that complicated. Consider you want to reply
to one mail with a valid good list of recipients: