Re: nother bash question

On Monday 13 June 2016 10:08:33 David Wright wrote:

> On Mon 13 Jun 2016 at 10:19:46 (+0200), Thomas Schmitt wrote:
> > Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > if test ${InMail} = "gene"
> > > bin/mailwatcher: line 66: test: =: unary operator expected
> >
> > The syntax problem is most probably about missing "-quotes around
> > the variable ecaluation ${InMail} which would have to be empty to
> > cause the message:
> >
> >   $ test $notdefined = "hello world"
> >   -bash: test: =: unary operator expected
> >   $ test "$notdefined" = "hello world"
> >
> >   $ defined=x
> >   $ test $defined = "hello world"
> >   $
> >
> > Another negative syntax effect would happen if ${InMail} did consist
> > of more than one word:
> >
> >   $ multiword="x y"
> >   $ test $multiword = "hello world"
> >   -bash: test: too many arguments
> >
> > (On the other hand, "gene" does not need its quotes because the
> >  text is a single constant word. "hello world" needs them, because
> >  of the blank on the middel.)

> > Is ${InMail} supposed to be empty ?
> > If not, then the script has another problem about properly setting
> > the variable.
> >

> > Have a nice day :)
>
> Thomas, your patience appears unbounded. We have been to this place
> before:
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/04/msg00652.html

Yes, I believe we have, but this time I understood the replies better,
well enough to fix my warnings to the point that it is no longer needing
to have its shell output sent to >/dev/null 2>&1 &.  That means I can
fine tune it and adjust it with no more effort than a ctl+c and a rerun
to check my changes.  That is a huge improvement right there, which is
why I tendered thank you's to all who participated, and still do.

For the nonce, I believe this thread is cooked to perfection (until
someone moves perfection, and I believe I've seen a Murphy's Law
corollary on that subject, someplace in the last 75 years), so thanks
again everybody, including you David.

> Cheers,
> David.

Cheers, Gene Heskett