moving wireless to static IP address

To avoid booting delay while DHCP tries to get an IP address, I decided
to use a static address for the wlan0 interface.

I tried this:

auto wlan0
iface wlan0 inet static
  address 192.168.1.124
  gateway 192.168.1.1
  netmask 255.255.255.0
  wireless-mode managed
  wpa-ssid XXX
  wap-psk XXX

This produces the error: Failed to bring up wlan0. The IP address is
what wlan0 was given before by DHCP, although it seems sometimes a
different address was assigned. In any case, neither work.

Should I also have done something with my router? I don't want to upset
the dynamic assignment for other machines and disks.

The wicd Preferences I also set up for static IP address. However, the
check box before the Key field is not checked, for apparently it wasn't
necessary.

Haines Brown