Re: Big dummy at work again

On Sun 12 Jun 2016 at 02:02:45 (-0400), Gene Heskett wrote:
> On Saturday 11 June 2016 23:04:27 David Wright wrote:
> > >
> > > Maybe, but that ncurses face on aptitube is a total turn-off, and
> > > will be until aptitude figures out how to make ncurses redraw the
> > > whole screen instead of leave a kilobyte of text covering 20% of the
> > > screen real estate.  And it been that disaster since I first saw it
> > > 18 years ago.
> >
> > As usual, your rant is in need of some explanation as to exactly
> > what your problem is.
> >
> Basically, when you back up,

So this would be a sequence of actions like:

Select an uninstalled package with "+"
Press "g" to install it
See a huge list of dependencies and get cold feet
Press "q" (your screen messes up)
Press "^U" to revert the selection made earlier

> or close a text reader,

So this would be like:

Move to a line with an installed package
Press "C" to read the changelog
Press "q" (your screen messes up)

> it doesn't clean up
> to a clean screen.  Its easier to quit it, and restart it than it is to
> regain a usable screen display.

Is that what you mean? Do you get the same behaviour if you run
aptitude as non-root?

Do you run any other applications with ncurses? Do you run them
remotely through ssh? Are they a problem too?

Cheers,
David.