Re: Big dummy at work again

On Sunday 12 June 2016 06:00:03 Martin Read wrote:

> On 12/06/16 07:12, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > And I have never not seen it.  On several different mother boards,
> > and probably 2x the video cards. If there is a difference, I've not
> > a clue.
>
> If ncurses programs that other people use without incident are
> screwing up the contents of your terminals, my first port of call
> would be checking that the value of the TERM environment variable
> matches reality.

Hummm. That echo's as "echo $TERM" as "xterm", but my favorite is
Terminal Emulator 4.8, and its help says "Xfce Terminal Emulator".

Found xterm but it opens a window about 2.75"x3.5", and uses a text font
so small it gets 80 columns out of that 3.5", so its almost unreadable,
and has no configuration menus at all over and above what I can do to it
thru the tde configuration facility, which offers no way to change that
microscopicly tiny font. So if that terminal was the only one available,
I'd have to see if the vt-220 I cobbled up on an old trs-80 color
computer running an early nitros9, 30 years ago, could be compiled to
run on linux.

So where/how do I fix that? And no, I am not about to change to useing
xterm. I did, under the system menu, find a configure tool and changed
that default from xterm to Xfce, then closed that 2 tab terminal and
re-opened it, but an echo $TERM in the new window still says xterm.  And
xterm is unusable IMO.

Thank you Martin.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)