Re: Big dummy at work again

On Saturday 11 June 2016 17:35:11 Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 11 June 2016 22:24:40 Doug wrote:
> > On 06/11/2016 03:01 PM, Gene Heskett wrote:
> > > Greetings gui panel experts;
> > >
> > > After the first round of replacing iceweasel with firefox, since
> > > it pointed at the firefox-esr binary after that, I killed the
> > > iceweasel icon on the panel, only to discover that the firefox
> > > icon pointed at the even older version, so I have edited it
> > > several times and now have it launching firefox 47.0, but I saw
> > > synaptic dl and install 47.1, but I've NDI which of the numerous
> > > copy's of firefox in /usr/bin is now the correct one.  Anybody
> > > actually know which is correct after todays, 3rd round of updates
> > > from firefox-whatever to firefox-47.1?
> > >
> > > And of course in the playing around I have now a text icon in
> > > place of the usual firefox icon, and apparently no way in fiddling
> > > with the properties of the icon, to correct that.
> > >
> > > I know that text icon is linked to some version of firefox, and
> > > I'm not convinced I have the correct even now, see above version
> > > diff.
> > >
> > > I could use a little help.
>
> How many are in your menu?

2
firefox
firefox-esr
And esr is a version 45 something, figuratively speaking, a few months
long in the tooth.

> If more than one, and they are not clearly labelled, check, by
> starting them, which is the right one, and then use the menu tool to
> remove the "wrong" one(s).  Right click on panel.  <configure panel>
> -> < menus> -> <edit TDE menu>
>
> Now to tackle the icons.  *Delete* *all* *of* *them*, including the
> text one. Now go to the menu.  Open it.  Right click on the version of
> Firefox that you have left there.  Click, in the list that opens, on
> wherever you want the icon.  (Panel, desktop etc.)

I went the other way a just drug firefox to the panel, and killed the
dead panel entry.  Works a treat.

> Job done.
>
> >>  All
> >>
> > > created by somebody deciding to repoint the iceweasel icon to the
> > > new firefox, its sure turned into a whats this nightmare here.
>
> No, Gene.  All created because you didn't trust the package manager.
> Not that IMHO Synaptic is that trustworthy. ;-)  I have just looked in
> my /usr/bin.  I have firefox-esr and firefox-real.  So I have
> experimented.  Firefox-esr is the one aptitude installed, and is
> Firefox 45.2.0 and Firefox is 47.0, and is the one I installed.  I
> have both in my menu, clearly labelled Firefox-esr and Firefox.  I let
> aptitude do its thing.  It has left life simple.

Maybe, but that ncurses face on aptitube is a total turn-off, and will be
until aptitude figures out how to make ncurses redraw the whole screen
instead of leave a kilobyte of text covering 20% of the screen real
estate.  And it been that disaster since I first saw it 18 years ago.

> In the launcher, "firefox" launches firefox-real and "iceweasel"
> launches firefox-esr, as does "firefox-esr".  It doesn't seem to me to
> matter that the command "iceweasel" has been told to launch
> firefox-esr, now iceweasel is no more.. :-/

Yup, that is a part of the puzzle I don't grok.

> I have:
> deb http://mozilla.debian.net/ wheezy-backports firefox-release
> in my sources.list.  I am fascinated that as a result of that, and the
> fact that I did have iceweasel, aptitude is keeping two versions of
> firefox up-to-date!!

I'll have to see that.

> Why do anything the easy way when the difficult way will do, eh, Gene?
> ;-)
>
> Lisi

All I really wanted to  do was fix the icon, but I had to junk that car
and buy a new one.  :)

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)