OT Synaptic (was Re: Network manager (again) )

On Fri, 2016-05-27 at 08:32 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> Synaptic!=debian's package installer
>
> It is one of Debian's package installers, and a late-comer at that,
> which I
> have found causes problems.  Perhaps this is one of them?  (Note the
> "I have
> found".  I don't want to start a flame war!!!)
>
> So, correction, "said unstable by Synaptic"  (Does it???)

No one wants that, I agree. I feel it is necessary to make the
following statement for others reading the list: "In my experience
Synaptic works very well, BUT the way it is designed, it is really
intended for use with Debian Stable."

A number of package scripts tend to be broken under Sid, and this is
natural and to be expected.  Synaptic does not always handle that
situation efficiently.  This does not mean that Synaptic is bad.  On
the contrary, I find it to be very useful, and use it regularly -
swtiching to aptitude if required.

I would very much like to see a QT or GTK frontend added to aptitude as
an option to replace synaptic.  I do not have enough time to work on it
myself at present, but I have heard one was started but never finished.