Re: [deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk: Re: Network manager (again) Re:]

Le vendredi 20 mai 2016 16:09:25, vous avez écrit :

> Hi, I thought you might only be subscribed to the French list

> and not this one, so you might have missed this.

> Could we have a reference please for "said unstable by debian's package

> installer"? (I assume you're talking about the wicd packages, because

> someone wrote "Please note, an entry does not work with network-manager.

> Use wicd instead" in the thread called "WiFi Access Point".)

I find your post only today may 26. I read the warnings of synaptic about wicd. And now that I have learned things about systemd, insserv and them requiring to start networking (not network) as soon as the driver's modules are loaded, long before reading /etc/network/interfaces (BTW mine includes only lo) I won't change anything more: It works! I start named in /etc/rc.local, not bind9 which definitely won't work, and my wifi access point in gnome-nettool. And I don't halt my server. Not intellectually satisfying, but practical!

Jacques

PS: my wifi problem came from firmware-iwlwifi being loaded much too late (7s after boot-start, when r8169 and e1000e for my NICs are loaded before 0.8s) probably because the version in early Jessie was broken, and replaced after installation (see https://wiki.debian.org/iwlwifi).