Re: [deblis@lionunicorn.co.uk: Re: Network manager (again) Re:]

On Friday 27 May 2016 01:21:25 Rodary Jacques wrote:
> > Could we have a reference please for "said unstable by debian's package
> > installer"? (I assume you're talking about the wicd packages, because
> > someone wrote "Please note, an entry does not work with network-manager.
> > Use wicd instead" in the thread called "WiFi Access Point".)
>
> I find your post only today may 26. I read the warnings of synaptic about
> wicd.

Synaptic!=debian's package installer

It is one of Debian's package installers, and a late-comer at that, which I
have found causes problems.  Perhaps this is one of them?  (Note the "I have
found".  I don't want to start a flame war!!!)

So, correction, "said unstable by Synaptic"  (Does it???)

Here is what I get with aptitude in Jessie:
peter@Nyx-II:~$ aptitude show wicd
Package: wicd
State: not installed
Version: 1.7.2.4-4.1
 Wicd is a general-purpose network configuration server which aims to provide
a simple
 but flexible interface for connecting to networks. Its features include:
 * wide variety of settings;
 * ability to connect to (and maintain profiles for) both wired and wireless
networks;
 * support for many encryption schemes, including WEP, WPA, WPA2 and custom
schemes;
 * wireless-tools compatibility;
 * tray icon showing network activity and signal strength;
 * lack of GNOME dependencies (although it does require GTK+), making it easy
to use in
   Xfce, Fluxbox, Openbox, Enlightenment, etc.

 This is a metapackage, it allows installation of all the components of Wicd,
including
 one of the clients, which must be manually chosen.
Homepage: http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Tags: admin::configuring, admin::monitoring, implemented-in::python,
      network::configuration, role::metapackage, role::program,
scope::utility,
      use::checking, use::configuring, use::monitor

peter@Nyx-II:~$

I don't see any mention of unstable.

And Brian, that description will tell you why some of us like it.  But I have
nothing against wpagui, and am not "fixated" on wicd.  I just use it and have
found it reliable.  Does wpagui also administer wired netrworks, as does
wicd?

Lisi