Re: Customizing/repository question

On Mon, 23 May 2016 11:38:52 -0000 (UTC)
Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:

> T.J. Duchene wrote:
> > On Sun, 22 May 2016 22:20:38 -0000 (UTC)
> > Dan Purgert <dan@djph.net> wrote:
> >> [snip]
> >> Nope, not packages ... but you could always build from source.
> >>
> > [snip]
> > I usually substitute "dpkg-buildpackage -us -uc" with "debuild -us
> > -uc".  Things build more smoothly.
>
> Yeah, that'll build a .deb package (IIRC) for you to then install with
> dpkg.  Generally when I build from source, it's a process of:
>
> ./configure [options] (wait a bit)
> make (wait a lot[1])
> sudo make install
>
> [1] Downside of having an older PC with limited RAM.  Takes a long
> time to compile.

There is nothing wrong with that! =)  I've used that myself.

I am only speaking for myself, but if possible I prefer to use code
from the repository and then use the Debian build scripts rather than
build it manually.

The reasons are three. First, you automatically get the
patches to the upstream applied correctly.  Second, the build
dependencies are usually automatically installed so you spend less time
chasing them down.  Thirdly, using the package rather than the raw
source install means that the package manager will inform me before it
ungraciously overwrites a file needed to for a program to function
properly.

T.J.