Re: Want to get Radeon HD 8970M working with Debian 8.4 on MSI GX70 laptop

On Mon, 2016-05-23 at 12:09 -0400, Justin Belanger wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have a MSI GX70 laptop with Debian 8.4 on it. It has two graphics
> chips,
> a Radeon HD 8970M and a Radeon HD 8650G. The CPU is a AMD A10-5750M.
>
> I'd like to be able to use the Radeon HD 8970M, but right now, my
> laptop is
> using software rendering (Gallium 0.4 on llvmpipe, according to the
> 'glxinfo'
> command).
>
> When I boot the computer, I see the message "*ERROR* radeon kernel
> modesetting
> for R600 or later requires firmware-linux-nonfree" twice (probably
> because of
> the two graphics chips). So, I tried installing that
> firmware-linux-nonfree package.
>
> After installing firmware-linux-nonfree, I see an error like "ring
> test
> 0 failed"
> when I turn the laptop on. The laptop waits for a few seconds, then
> reboots
> itself, and then the error occurs again. I've fixed that error by
> booting in
> recovery mode and removing the firmware-linux-nonfree package. But
> now I'm
> back where I started.
>
> Does anyone know why this "ring test 0 failed" error could be
> happening? Or
> should I try a different approach to getting my 8970M chip to work?

There are some suggestions here that it might be related to the fact
that you have two graphics cards:
http://askubuntu.com/questions/457391/radeon-ring-0-test-failed-on-boot-ubuntu-14-04

But if I'm not mistaken the GPU in you system is so new (GCN family?)
that 8.4 won't have proper support for it.

You probably need testing, and unless I'm mistaken again, kernel 4.5 or
newer.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson