Re: Network manager (again)

On Sat 14 May 2016 at 05:27:06 (+0200), Bhasker C V wrote:
>   I am finding it difficult to settle on a good network manager which
> can work for my case
>
> 1. My home dir is luks/ext4 and mounted manually after logging in for
> the first time
> 2. My GUI is started after mounting my home dir and by manual startx only
>
> I could never get my network manager to store passwords in the user dir.
> I do not like the passwords stored in
> /etc/NeworkManager/sytem-connections with plain passwords visible so
> anybody can open them if they have physical access to the machine/disk
> (usb live stick etc., )
>
> If I pull up the properties of nm-applet and change the option to
> "Store password only for this user", nm-applet does not connect since
> the keyring is no automatically unlocked due to startx
>
> Can anyone help me with fixing this network-manager so the passwords are
> stored per-user in my luks home rather than /etc/...  OR tell me how to
> enable nm-applet to automatically trigger opening gnome-keyring ?

Like Hans, I use wicd (wicd-curses) because I only run a window manager.
These suggestions are completely untested but might be worth a shot.
You could create /home/wicd/ and copy /etc/wicd/* into it, then move
/etc/wicd to /etc/wicd-preserve and create a symlink /etc/wicd -> /home/wicd
If it all still works like that, shred and remove /etc/wicd-preserve.

The main issue AFAICT is making the wicd-daemon start only after /home
is mounted (and stop appropriately if you want to unmount it again).
I don't know systemd well enough to know if that's trivial or hard.
But the main thing is that it puts wicd/*.conf safely onto your
encrypted /home.

You might be able to coerce NM in the same way; I have no idea.

Cheers,
David.