Re: Network manager (again)

Am 14.05.2016 um 05:27 schrieb Bhasker C V:
> Hi
>
>   I am finding it difficult to settle on a good network manager which
> can work for my case
>
> 1. My home dir is luks/ext4 and mounted manually after logging in for
> the first time
> 2. My GUI is started after mounting my home dir and by manual startx only
>
> I could never get my network manager to store passwords in the user dir.

This works just fine here, out-of-the-box using GNOME3.

passwords can be system-owned (stored in
/etc/NetworkManager/system-connections) which have the benefit of being
available during early boot or agent/user-owend, i.e. they are stored in
the users keyring.
For that the user needs to be logged into the desktop environment.
You can configure this easily via nm-connection-editor on a
per-connection basis.

GNOME3 uses gnome-keyring which is started automatically and unlocked if
you have libpam-gnome-keyring installed (assuming the login password and
keyring password are the same). libpam-gnome-keyring will most likely
not work if you use startx. Fwiw, I strongly recommend to use a display
manager.

If you use a different desktop environment, you might have to start
gnome-keyring manually and unlock the keyring on your own, or don't use
a passphrase for your gnome keyring, which should be okayish, since you
luks encrypt your home.
You can change the password for your gnome keyring using the seahorse tool.
The start of gnome-keyring is handled via
/etc/xdg/autostart/gnome-keyring-*.

Michael

universe are pointed away from Earth?