Google Authenticator

Hi all,

Two days ago an article was posted on Linux.com about setting up
2-factor authentication using the libpam-google-authenticator package [1].

Looking at the Debian package [2] I noticed it was last updated August
2013, however the source at GitHub has been updated as recently as 2
days ago. Browsing through the commit log [3] indicates lots of issues
related to memcpy, malloc, and SIGSEGV have been fixed since 2013.

How do I determine whether whether this package is safe to use?

Thanks,

Laurens

[1]
https://www.linux.com/learn/how-set-2-factor-authentication-login-and-sudo