Re: Timing issue with fstab NFS mounts

On Fri, May 13, 2016 at 06:57:10AM -0400, Steve Matzura wrote:
> On Fri, 13 May 2016 05:12:56 -0400, you wrote:
>
> >The options field in fstab should include "_netdev" for devices
> >which cannot be mounted until networking is stable.
>
> I have never heard of that option. I'll try it and report back. Now,
> what about the lines for the binds that immediately follow the network
> device? Do the binds still operate even if the network device isn't
> online yet? In other words, does the mounting of devices processing
> stop until the line in fstab with _netdev in its options field is
> processed, then the binds run? If so, then this is the answer to a
> humble man's prayer. I've been wrestling with this literally for
> months.

fstab is always evaluated in the order you write it, from top to
bottom. However, not all mount commands are equivalent. The
usual call shortly after system boot is:

mount -a -t nonfs,nfs4,smbfs,cifs,ncp,ncpfs,coda,ocfs2,gfs,gfs2,ceph -O no_netdev

which says: mount everything except filesystems which are known to
be dependent on networks, and also avoid filesystems which are marked
as _netdev.

In this case, you want to mark all your bind mounts as _netdev
as well.

-dsr-