Timing issue with fstab NFS mounts

While the rest of my system is just cherry, I have not yet been able
to solve the problem of why an NFS mount and associated binds don't
work unless and until I wait a minute or two after the system comes
up, then issue a 'mount -a'. I have tried putting 'mount -a'  into
/etc/init.d/rc.local, and still no happiness. Is there something I
need to check for before the fstab stuff starts, or should the NFS
mount and associated binds be taken out of fstab and dealt elsewhere?
This seems a kluge, but I cannot think of another way to get around
this problem.

Thanks in advance as always.