Re: Flashplayer on 32 bit computers

On 2016-05-09, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Monday 09 May 2016 22:37:06 Liam O'Toole wrote:
>> On 2016-05-09, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > It is also a pity that Wheezy LTS appears not to be a truly viable
>> > proposition for the desktop.
>>
>> True. The software versions are obviously quite old, and not all
>> packages are supported[1]. Previous LTS releases did not support
>> graphical web browsers; I don't know whether that is the case for
>> wheezy LTS too.
>>
>> > I still have jdk7 to sort out on three computers.  In Stable or
>> > newer jdk6 would surely have been removed for me by aptitude?
>>
>> No, obsolete packages such as openjdk-6-* are left untouched[2]. It
>> is up to you to remove them.
>>
>> 1: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using#Check_for_unsupported_packages
>> 2:
>> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.h
>>tml#obsolete
>
> You have shown that they are not removed in LTS, which I have just
> discovered, and that they are not removed on upgrade to the next
> version.  But, surely, normally when a newer version is installed
> automatically by aptitude, the older one is removed, unless you have
> been using aptitude safe-upgrade, when nothing is removed?  (Or, of
> course, unless you have got it pinned?)

The packaging of openjdk is done in such a way as to allow the parallel
installation of two or more such packages. To put it another way, the
major Java version is included in the package name, not the Debian
package version number. Therefore openjdk-7-* is not regarded as an
upgrade (in the Debian packaging sense) over openjdk-6-*. Instead, they
are different packages, and both can be installed at the same time. The
Debian alternatives system allows one to decide which is the system-wide
default Java.

The openjdk-6-* packages are now obsolete and unsupported
(both by Debian and upstream), and will receive no further security
updates.

--

Liam