Re: Flashplayer on 32 bit computers

On Monday 09 May 2016 22:37:06 Liam O'Toole wrote:
> On 2016-05-09, Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> > It is also a pity that Wheezy LTS appears not to be a truly viable
> > proposition for the desktop.
>
> True. The software versions are obviously quite old, and not all
> packages are supported[1]. Previous LTS releases did not support
> graphical web browsers; I don't know whether that is the case for wheezy
> LTS too.
>
> > I still have jdk7 to sort out on three computers.  In
> > Stable or newer jdk6 would surely have been removed for me by aptitude?
>
> No, obsolete packages such as openjdk-6-* are left untouched[2]. It is
> up to you to remove them.
>
> 1: https://wiki.debian.org/LTS/Using#Check_for_unsupported_packages
> 2:
> https://www.debian.org/releases/stable/i386/release-notes/ch-upgrading.en.h
>tml#obsolete

You have shown that they are not removed in LTS, which I have just discovered,
and that they are not removed on upgrade to the next version.  But, surely,
normally when a newer version is installed automatically by aptitude, the
older one is removed, unless you have been using aptitude safe-upgrade, when
nothing is removed?  (Or, of course, unless you have got it pinned?)

Lisi