Re: libpepflashplayer.so

On Sun, 08 May 2016, David Wright wrote:
> On Sun 08 May 2016 at 19:00:29 (-0300), Henrique de Moraes Holschuh wrote:
> > >
> > > For 64 bit CPUs "lscpu" command prints:
> > >
> > >     CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit
> >
> > The output of "cat /proc/cpuinfo", as well as that of "dmidecode" is usually
> > a lot more useful for diagnostics.  The dmidecode output might have serial
> > numbers and UUIDs, which you should not post to the list, so feel free to
> > XXXXX them out beforehand.
>
> This is all rather ambiguous.

If you mean the dmidecode and /proc/cpuinfo output, it is not ambiguous at
all, as long as you know why you want that info and what you will do with
it.

If you mean lscpu, it has its reasons to exist: it outputs easy-to-grasp
synthetic information.  But it lacks too much detail to be of use for
debugging.

>         Signature: Type 0, Family 6, Model 15, Stepping 2

It tells me it is a Core2 processor of some kind.  Which is 64-bit capable,
as long as the BIOS is not too oudated or outright braindamaged, which is
something else I usually get out of the output of dmidecode + google search.

I don't think anyone shipped a Core2 with that bad a BIOS, let alone Dell,
but I could be wrong about it.

The output of /proc/cpuinfo would have told me more than that, likely the
exact processor model and microcode revision at the very least.

And the full output of dmidecode would usually have told me which
motherboard and BIOS version.

> and the machine is only running a 32-bit Debian system and kernel,
> would cpuinfo still say "CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit"?

That's lscpu output, not the contents of the /proc/cpuinfo "special file".

> Or does cpuinfo only mention "CPU op-mode(s):        32-bit, 64-bit"
> when the OS actually running has those two modes available to it now?

*lscpu* will output that when it finds the "lm" flag (long mode, aka 64-bit
mode) in the "flags" field of /proc/cpuinfo.  So, it is about the processor
itself, not the kernel.

  Henrique Holschuh