Re: libpepflashplayer.so

Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Saturday 07 May 2016 23:25:35 Sven Hartge wrote:
>> Lisi Reisz <lisi.reisz@gmail.com> wrote:
>> > Granted - but my client won't be in a hurry to buy a new computer.
>> > And Google says: "We intend to continue supporting the 32-bit build
>> > configurations on Linux to support building Chromium."  Chromium still
>> > being available on Wheezy, the Debian Chromium Maintainers are
>> > presumably still supporting it, so it is not that much larger a risk
>> > than it was before.  Google Chrome, of course, will simply not get
>> > updates.
>>
>> You may get an up-to-date Chromium from Debian, but you will _not_
>> get an up-to-date 32bit Pepperflash Plugin for it anymore.

> Not even security updates?  Quotation?  "to support building Chromium"
> could include it, when it is an intrinsic part of Google Chrome.

Pepper Flash is separate and not even distributed with sources. Flash
was also only ever a part of Chrome and not Chromium.

Google promises that you will be able to build Chromium on 32-bit
systems, but that does not include the binary-only Flash plugin.

> But anyway, it is not relevant.  Which is more insecure?  Chromium on
> Debian updated as far as I can, or Windows with an improperly managed
> security system?

There have been numerous Flash exploits which work on either operating
system. So my opinion would be "both are insecure".

> Upgrading to Jessie wouldn't solve it because but I would still have
> the 32 bit problem.

Time to do a backup and reinstall. Unless the computer is more than 10
years old, it should be able to run 64bit.

> I am open to suggestions for a solution, but "never use Flash" is not
> realistic.  Even once she has done this photo album on her husband's
> computer, there will be something else some time.

Well then, time to upgrade.

> She does no banking etc on her computer, and her husband does none while she
> has her computer switched on, because she accesses the router wirelessly, and
> I do not consider home wireless ever totally secure.

A long enough passphrase combined with WPA2 is virtually unhackable, as
long as you switch of WPS.

S°

--
Sigmentation fault. Core dumped.