Re: ghost partition

Hi Haines,

On Sun, May 08, 2016 at 07:48:16PM -0400, Haines Brown wrote:
> # ncdu -rx /
>   425.5MiB [##########]  sde1                                                  $
>   198.3MiB [####      ] /lib
>   193.8MiB [####      ] /mnt

I am not familiar with ncdu but looking at its manual page, -x means
"do not cross filesystem boundaries" so I would expect that it
thinks that /dev/sde1 is your root filesystem.

> $ mount | grep sde
> [nothing]

Note that this could be a false negative because mount's idea of the
device for your root may not match reality, e.g. mount may think of
the device as an LVM volume, label path (/dev/disk/by-label/…) or
UUID path (/dev/disk/by-uuid/…).

> How can I remove what has attached itself to /dev/sde1?

I think we first have to work out what it is. What is the output of
the following commands?

$ cat /proc/mounts
$ ls -la /sys/block/sde
# blockdev --report /dev/sde