Re: Openssl -showcerts "verify error"

On Thursday 05 May 2016 08:08:51 Ron Leach wrote:
> On 05/05/2016 00:13, Lisi Reisz wrote:
> > On Wednesday 04 May 2016 23:58:56 Ron Leach wrote:
> >> But ... following some other earlier posts by folk using a web browser
> >> to reach the url (and seeming to have success)
> >
> > Curiouser and curiouser - I didn't just reach it successfully, I logged
> > in successfully. Certificates weren't mentioned. :-/
>
> Very odd, I agree.  May I check 2 things with you?
>

> Their rejection message does suggest folk might not be using the
> 'right address' - which could mean a different url was employed,
> landing on a different server.  Did you use:
> https://secure.gateway.gov.uk:443
> or
> htps://www.secure.gateway.go.uk:443 ?
>

> When you normally login, do you login using a username, and a
> password?  That is the commonest method, I believe (and which we use)
> but when the Secure Gateway was first created there was a facility for
> people to obtain a 'certificate'.  We didn't do that, and the HMRC
> filing software doesn't work with user certificates anyway.  But I
> wondered which of the two possible schemes you used when you
> successfully logged in; username, or certificate?
>
> Thanks for your test, which shows that their system is working - at
> least in some regions, or some modes.
>
> regards, Ron

Just logged in again at
http://www.gateway.gov.uk/

Then click on "Enter the Government Gateway" and get to:
https://authenticate.gateway.gov.uk/sidp/SignIn.ashx?gwv=1.0&gwrealm=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gateway.gov.uk%2fmyaccount%2f2007%2f07&gwreply=http%3a%2f%2fwww.gateway.gov.uk%2fDefault.aspx

enter ID and password and press enter, and get to:
https://myaccount.gateway.gov.uk/Pages/Enrolments/List.aspx

And get Welcome xxxxx xxxxx (my husband), what my husband is enrolled for, and
a separate list of hyperlinks of enrolments available, the 17th of which is
<Self Assessment (SA)>

My favourite is:
<Sheep and Goats Ear Tag Allocation System for Animal ID Manufacturers>
!!!

HTH,
Lisi