Re: Openssl -showcerts "verify error"

On 05/05/2016 00:13, Lisi Reisz wrote:
On Wednesday 04 May 2016 23:58:56 Ron Leach wrote:
But ... following some other earlier posts by folk using a web browser
to reach the url (and seeming to have success)

Curiouser and curiouser - I didn't just reach it successfully, I logged in
successfully. Certificates weren't mentioned. :-/

Very odd, I agree.  May I check 2 things with you?

Their rejection message does suggest folk might not be using the 'right address' - which could mean a different url was employed, landing on a different server. Did you use:
https://secure.gateway.gov.uk:443
or
htps://www.secure.gateway.go.uk:443 ?

When you normally login, do you login using a username, and a password? That is the commonest method, I believe (and which we use) but when the Secure Gateway was first created there was a facility for people to obtain a 'certificate'. We didn't do that, and the HMRC filing software doesn't work with user certificates anyway. But I wondered which of the two possible schemes you used when you successfully logged in; username, or certificate?

Thanks for your test, which shows that their system is working - at least in some regions, or some modes.

regards, Ron