Re: cross-debootstrap error

Hi,

On 04/30/2016 10:20 PM, Diddier Hilarion wrote:
> I have the following problem when I try to do crossdebootstrap of arm64
> as specified in the following page of the wiki
>
> https://wiki.debian.org/Arm64Qemu
>
> I got stuck in the fourth step, after doing the specified i get the
> following error message
>
> //Unpacking base-files (8+deb8u4) ...//
> //dpkg: error processing archive
> /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_8+deb8u4_arm64.deb (--install)://
> // symbolic link '/etc/os-release' size has changed from 50 to 21//
> //Errors were encountered while processing://
> // /var/cache/apt/archives/base-files_8+deb8u4_arm64.deb//
> /
>
> It seems to be an integrity problem with base_files but after deleting
> it from the cache the problem persists.

This is really weird, especially since /etc/os-release is owned by
base-files, so it should only be created when the package is installed,
and it also shouldn't be a symbolic link but rather a regular file.

I have a setup here where I can generate qemu-based chroots for building
packages on multiple architectures, and that uses qemu-debootstrap
internally. I just tried to build one for jessie/arm64, which succeeded.
Internally, it ran the following command:

/usr/sbin/qemu-debootstrap --include=apt --arch arm64 --variant=buildd \
                           --force-check-gpg jessie directory \
                           http://mirror/

(Replace directory and http://mirror/ accordingly.)

If that doesn't work for you, you could try a different mirror, although
I'm not sure whether that can indeed help, because debootstrap tries to
verify that packages are correct when downloading them, so any
transmission error would have been picked up on.

Other than that:

 - What filesystem are you using? Did you run a filesystem check (fsck)
   recently?
 - Is the target directory empty (or non-existent) before you run
   qemu-debootstrap?
 - Are there other processes running that might do stuff in the
   directory where you bootstrap into?
 - Does a normal debootstrap of your native architecture work?
 - What is your host OS?
 - Which versions of qemu-user-static and debootstrap?

Regards,
Christian