Re: Posts don't show on list

On Sat 30 Apr 2016 at 15:35:15 +0100, Lisi Reisz wrote:

> On Saturday 30 April 2016 15:13:06 Brian wrote:
> > It needn't be the case, but it looks like gary719_list1@verizon.net is

> > subscribed to the list (garyroach@verizon.net is not a subscriber). Just
> > as a check: send a mail to
> >
> >   majordomo@lists.debian.org
> >
> > with
> >
> >   which gary719_list1@verizon.net
> >
> > in the *body* of the mail. Either the From: or Reply-To: must have
> > gary719_list1@verizon.net.
> >
> > A blank Subject: is ok.
> >
> > A reply will be sent back within seconds of the mail being sent. What
> > does it say?
>
> I think you have nailed it, Brian.  When Gary sends from
> garyroach@verizon.net, it doesn't make the list distribution.  When he posts
> from gary719_list1@verizon.net, it does, as can be seen in
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-user/2016/04/author.html, all of the Gary
> Roach emails on which come from gary719_list1@verizon.net
>
> Very observant of you.  So Gary, all you have to do is either stop posting
> from garyroach@verizon.net, or subscribe it.  Then you will get it sent out
> to you.

Actually, the purpose of my post was to elicit information. Gary Roach
says no list mails which he himself has sent appear in his debian-user
folder (or whatever he uses). I haven't followed the thread assiduously
but he hasn't said that some appear but others don't.

Tracking down his problem depends very much on his email setup. Like
others, I am reluctant to see list operation as the issue. The list
sends mail to whatever addresses are subscribed to it but it is worth
thinking about how we on the list know someone is subscribed. For
example, there is nothing in my mails which indicates my subscription
address to other list members.

The point being: his From: address may be gary719_list1@verizon.net but
this isn't necessarily a subscribed address. The advice I gave will
confirm it or not.