Firewall - basic config?

Hi List,

I have a question regarding how I've configured my iptables to act as a very basic "firewall", i.e., one that simply prevents any and all incoming connections. Now, from my readings over the past several days I think I've learned that at least some of my outgoing requests will have responses that should be allowed to come back in -- but aside from that, I essentially want my firewall to act in a very "default" method, i.e., the way a complete neophyte would expect his or her firewall to work within Windows or Mac.

Here's what I did -- I will also paste the results of my current "iptables -L" command... I hope the text block is not too large...

1. First, my issue with manually configuring iptables is not the complexity of it, per se -- but the fact that I want to avoid having my newness to it prevent me from setting it up in an insecure manner. So...

2. I found that "ufw" works as a line-command-based-front-end to iptables. I also came across "gufw" in my travels, and I even tried it, but I've since gleaned that all that's really needed in ufw to completely mimic the basic functionality of gufw is to (a) install ufw, and (b) enable it -- one does not even need to establish the default policies, although the Debian wiki page incorrectly states that this is necessary.

3. So after having installed and enabled ufw, here's the output of my "iptables -L" command. I noticed a mention of "microsoft-ds" in there... I assume this is just a protocol, and not a piece of software! Any suggestions/comments would be much appreciated. Thanks very much.

Chain INPUT (policy DROP)
ufw-before-logging-input  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-before-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-input  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-reject-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-track-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain FORWARD (policy DROP)
ufw-before-logging-forward  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-before-forward  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-after-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-forward  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-reject-forward  all  --  anywhere anywhere

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT)
ufw-before-logging-output  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-before-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-after-logging-output  all  --  anywhere anywhere
ufw-reject-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ufw-track-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-after-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-input (1 references)
ufw-skip-to-policy-input udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:netbios-ns ufw-skip-to-policy-input udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:netbios-dgm ufw-skip-to-policy-input tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:netbios-ssn ufw-skip-to-policy-input tcp -- anywhere anywhere tcp dpt:microsoft-ds ufw-skip-to-policy-input udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:bootps ufw-skip-to-policy-input udp -- anywhere anywhere udp dpt:bootpc ufw-skip-to-policy-input all -- anywhere anywhere ADDRTYPE match dst-type BROADCAST

Chain ufw-after-logging-forward (1 references)
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 10 LOG level warning prefix "[UFW BLOCK] "

Chain ufw-after-logging-input (1 references)
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 10 LOG level warning prefix "[UFW BLOCK] "

Chain ufw-after-logging-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-after-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-forward (1 references)
ufw-user-forward  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-before-input (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ufw-logging-deny  all  --  anywhere             anywhere state INVALID
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere             state INVALID
ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp destination-unreachable ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp source-quench ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp time-exceeded ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp parameter-problem ACCEPT icmp -- anywhere anywhere icmp echo-request ACCEPT udp -- anywhere anywhere udp spt:bootps dpt:bootpc
ufw-not-local  all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             224.0.0.251          udp dpt:mdns
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             239.255.255.250      udp dpt:1900
ufw-user-input  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-before-logging-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-logging-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-logging-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-before-output (1 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere
ACCEPT all -- anywhere anywhere state RELATED,ESTABLISHED
ufw-user-output  all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-logging-allow (0 references)
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 10 LOG level warning prefix "[UFW ALLOW] "

Chain ufw-logging-deny (2 references)
RETURN all -- anywhere anywhere state INVALID limit: avg 3/min burst 10 LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 10 LOG level warning prefix "[UFW BLOCK] "

Chain ufw-not-local (1 references)
RETURN all -- anywhere anywhere ADDRTYPE match dst-type LOCAL RETURN all -- anywhere anywhere ADDRTYPE match dst-type MULTICAST RETURN all -- anywhere anywhere ADDRTYPE match dst-type BROADCAST ufw-logging-deny all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 10
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-reject-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-reject-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-reject-output (1 references)

Chain ufw-skip-to-policy-forward (0 references)
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-skip-to-policy-input (7 references)
DROP       all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-skip-to-policy-output (0 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-track-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-track-output (1 references)
ACCEPT     tcp  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW
ACCEPT     udp  --  anywhere             anywhere             state NEW

Chain ufw-user-forward (1 references)

Chain ufw-user-input (1 references)

Chain ufw-user-limit (0 references)
LOG all -- anywhere anywhere limit: avg 3/min burst 5 LOG level warning prefix "[UFW LIMIT BLOCK] " REJECT all -- anywhere anywhere reject-with icmp-port-unreachable

Chain ufw-user-limit-accept (0 references)
ACCEPT     all  --  anywhere             anywhere

Chain ufw-user-logging-forward (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-logging-input (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-logging-output (0 references)

Chain ufw-user-output (1 references)

-end of posting