Re: searching for hosts in domain local

Hi David,

Thanks for your responses.

I'm going to try to your questions and points all in this one post
so it's easier to comprehend.

Regarding the 'local' name, i don't know how it came into being
(or whether it was deliberate on anybody's part).  I sure don't
think i created it.

Thanks for pointing out /var/lib/dhcp/, and thanks very much for
pointing out netstat.

My /etc/services is like yours regarding mdns (no surprise there
i guess), and also like yours regarding what netstat reveals:
udp and udp6 for 5353 so something is trying to use that port.

I've subsequently set up ~/.ssh/config so i can ssh to all my
machines without '.local'.  I don't ping too much, so that's not
a problem (but it is a little unsatisfactory).

And --- i was wrong about how i have my network laid out.

So if anybody stumbles on this thread with a similar problem:

The router just connects directly to my main linux machine,
and the other three hosts (one linux, two other)
are all on a subnet that does not include the router.

So their behavior is much more plausible --- they don't
need '.local' at all --- the only machine that seems to need
'.local' is my main linux machine, but it has two network
interfaces, so it's in a unique situation.

(And that's why i don't want to be too emphatic about
'local' --- i sure don't think i chose that word, but because
i was wrong about describing my network earlier, maybe
i did something else and just don't recall it.  For example,
if 'local' was a drop down in one of the guis i went through,
then that might be the origin.  And i'm very sorry for
leaving a trail of red herrings if so!!! :( )

dan