Re: searching for hosts in domain local

On Sat 16 Apr 2016 at 23:56:11 (-0700), Dan Hitt wrote:
> On Sat, Apr 16, 2016 at 10:42 PM, Andy Smith <andy@strugglers.net> wrote:
> > ".local" TLD is kind of special so you may find problems anyway -
> > it's used for multicast DNS (Avahi). You may be better off picking a
> > different domain for your local network.
>
> I didn't pick that name :)

So how did you come by it?

> And my router is a black box which i cannot touch.

Is it a wireless router? How do you set/change to password?

> Is there any way to reload the dhclient.conf file without restarting dhclient?
> I don't want to get a new lease, just have an already running dhclient reread
> the file.  The man page for dhclient doesn't seem to indicate how you
> can get the file reread without restarting dhclient and getting a new lease.
> This seems perplexing to me, because i'm not unhappy with any of the
> ips i'm getting, i just want to be able to refer to hosts by shorter names.

man dhclient on my systems says:

"In order to keep track of leases across system reboots and server
 restarts, dhclient keeps a list of leases it has been assigned in the
 dhclient.leases file. On startup, after reading the dhclient.conf
 file, dhclient reads the dhclient.leases file to refresh its memory
 about what leases it has been assigned."

(in /var/lib/dhcp/ of course.) Don't ask me what happens if you
surreptitiously edit the appropriate line in that file and then
restart your network (or reboot). Others may know.

Cheers,
David.