Re: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]

Patrick . . . I have responded to you off-list.

golinux

On Sun, 4/17/16, Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com> wrote:

 Subject: Re: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]
 To: "Go Linux" <golinux@yahoo.com>, debian-user@lists.debian.org
 Date: Sunday, April 17, 2016, 6:40 PM

On Sun, 17 Apr 2016, Go Linux wrote:

> Date: Sat, 16 Apr 2016 15:27:17 -0700
> From: Patrick Bartek <nemommxiv@gmail.com>
> To: debian-user@lists.debian.org <debian-user@lists.debian.org>
> Subject: Beginning of the End for Wheezy [sigh!]
> >
> > Much to my regret (and others, too, I'm sure), yesterday, on 15
> > April 2016, the beginning of the end began for Wheezy. Google, as
> > announced
> >
> [snipped]
> >
> > Well, at least I have time to look for an alternative. Maybe, Devuan
> > will be viable by then, but I doubt it.  Or Debian will offer a
> > choice of inits as a standard option during installs on future
> > releases, but I very much doubt it.
> >

> O ye of little faith!  I have been using Devuan Xfce on my desktop
> since last November.   Haven't had one hiccup with it.  And I am not
> alone!  Many are using it on their desktop and also on production
> servers.  Beta will be released very soon if that's what you're
> waiting for.

A good endorsement for its stability, but it's still in Alpha, an
admission by its own developer that the software is not truly ready.

Yes, I'm waiting for a Beta, a late one -- next year? -- but for
evaluation, not general use.  I'm very particular.  However, another
thing to consider, too:  even if the Final Release comes this time next
year (and I don't think it will), the OS will be one generation behind
since it's based on Jessie, and Stretch is "expected" to become the new
Stable about the same time.

We'll see.  I've got time.