Re: What Package?

On Wed, 06 Apr 2016 14:08:16 +0000
Mark Fletcher <mark27q1@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Apr 5, 2016 at 12:06 AM Adam Wilson <moxalt@riseup.net> wrote:
>

> > There's more there, and I can't really be bothered to go on.
> >

> > Thanks, that is the first time I have seen the whole story pulled
> > together
> in one place.
>
> Clearly an alternative to Flash is desirable -- I wonder if we are
> really there yet. HTML5 implementation in for example iceweasel in
> Jessie, as well as what I have in Google Chrome on my Android tablet,
> seems a bit basic -- can't for example make the video full-screen as
> there doesn't seem to be a screen gadget to do that.

The HTML5 player is only as good as the website implementing the
standard wants to make it- YouTube's HTML5 player, for instance, is
excellent, and so is the Vimeo player, as well as countless others. The
*reference implementation* so to speak is also good (the player used by
the web browser when playing a video file directly in the browser, such
as:
http://audio-video.gnu.org/video/short--undated--rms--free-software-four-freedoms.ogv).

> Maybe this is a
> specific player on a specific site, but I thought the idea behind
> HTML5 was to standardise such things? Maybe there's a key combination
> but how does one know that? And stability seems to be a problem, I've
> seen a couple of videos that don't play all the way through with an
> HTML5 player but switch to Flash and it works...
>
> I'd like to see the back of Flash, for all the reasons you've cited,
> but it seems you have to _really_ care to make the compromises
> necessary to do that right now.

What compromises? I don't use Flash, and I haven't experienced any
significant discomfort- it isn't a big sacrifice to make. Few websites
(or at least the websites I visit) require it, and those that do I
avoid. The only ones I can think of off the top of my head are some of
the mainstream news sites, but then they're mostly shit anyway.

I went through a phase of running LibreJS and not even allowing
non-free JavaScript to run. *That* is hard- getting rid of Flash is
nothing compared to getting rid of most JavaScript.

Running non-free JavaScript is one of the compromises I am prepared to
make- but I draw the line at Flash.