Re: What Package?

On Mon, Apr 4, 2016, 3:56 AM Adam Wilson <moxalt@riseup.net> wrote:

The discussion of "security" in non-free software is something of a
meaningless distinction, since non-free software is compromised by
default. Adobe Flash was always evil- if this perceived "insecurity" is
enough to help make people want to stop using it, then by all means it
should be promoted.

I wish we could get a clear statement of what all the fuss is about re Flash. A complete stranger's unsupported assertion that Flash is evil just doesn't cut it. And shouting louder by repeating the statement over and over again, as some on this forum have done in the past, doesn't cut it either.

There are evidently serious flaws in Flash, either its design or its implementation, that warrant all the negativity, but the odd thing is that the clear technical unbiased treatment of the issue seems to be completely swamped by quasi religious fervour. Those of us who haven't seen the facts, now can't find them. Can anyone point to anything unbiased that explains the issue?

(I hope it's clear I am not trying to deny there is an issue here)

Mark