Re: Choppy video on Youtube

Harris Paltrowitz composed on 2016-04-07 11:05 (UTC-0400):

On 04/07/2016 10:25 AM, Sven Arvidsson wrote:

If you do have hardware rendering: * What process uses the CPU?
Firefox, Xorg or something else? * Does it happen with other browsers,
like Chromium too?

Very interesting -- the problem does NOT occur on Chromium!  I have the
latest Chromium ( Version 49.0.2623.108 Built on 8.3, running on Debian
8.4) and all videos I tried run perfectly...  I also notice that the
browser performance overall is snappier than Firefox, so it looks like
I'll stick with Chromium -- although as another poster suggested that
moving from the 32 bit version of Jessie to 64 could make my video
performance better (as well as a possible switch from Gnome 3 to LXDE or
Xfce) I may decide to make these changes as well.

If you'd like to continue with Firefox, turning off hardware acceleration might help. This was fixed upstream quite some time ago, but maybe that problem has returned.

Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> General tab -> Browsing section -> unselect "Use hardware acceleration when available".

Felix Miata  ***  http://fm.no-ip.com/