Re: Choppy video on Youtube

On Wed, 2016-04-06 at 12:45 -0400, Harris Paltrowitz wrote:
> Here's my problem -- when I stream certain videos on Youtube, I
> consistently get choppy playback performance, whereby the video
> freezes
> and restarts randomly, with the audio getting out of sync from that
> point forward.  The problem is NOT due to the video still being
> downloaded -- I know this because the progress bar shows that the
> download is way ahead of my viewing progress.
[...]
> - When the choppiness is happening, System Monitor tells me that one
> of
> my four CPUs is maxing out at 100% at least half the time

Output of glxinfo (from mesa-utils) would be interesting. If you have
software GL, it would explain this.

If you do have hardware rendering:

* What process uses the CPU? Firefox, Xorg or something else?

* Does it happen with other browsers, like Chromium too?

* Does it happen if you download the video (youtube-dl or similar) and
play it with a normal video player?

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson