Re: New Deb 8 and no sshd access from other hosts [SOLVED]

Hi,

On 27/03/2016 10:04 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Saturday, March 26, 2016, Andrew McGlashan
>     I usually restrict with known IP addresses (static ones) and sometimes
>     with users having to be in a specific group that allows ssh.  Also,
>     authorized keys enforced instead of passwords.
>
> At the moment I'm the sole user, although I'm considering giving limited
> access to a few folks later.  How do you manage the server while
> traveling--some kind of personal VPN?

I have access to a couple of servers via a secure RDP tool [1] that I
can work from, those servers have a static IP and those IPs are in my
allowed list.  Firewall's stop access unless it isn't coming from the
right locations and I also implement hosts.deny and hosts.allow in the mix.

I used to have a static IP HSPA service, I should have kept that as it
gives static IP on a 4G LTE network (actually I think it was only a 3G
network).  In the past I have rebuilt an Oracle database from export
dump files via a Nokia 9000 Communicator's terminal app with a 9600 baud
GSM modem.... who say's Apple were first to /real/ smart phones ;-)

Have considered port knocking, but never set that up.

There are lots of options I can work with, even an email to my own mail
server, specially crafted to run a script to open up the connecting IP.

Another option would be to setup OpenVPN.... that shouldn't be too hard,
but I haven't had to do it, yet.

So, right now, it is more simple with the AADS servers being available.

Kind Regards
AndrewM

[1] http://aads-worldwide.com/