Re: New Deb 8 and no sshd access from other hosts [SOLVED]

On 27/03/2016 4:08 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have installed Deb on my laptop and reused my old Deb 7 .ssh directory.
>>
>> I can now ssh into the existing remote servers but cannot ssh into my
>> laptop from them (as a normal user)--I always get asked for a
>> password.  So the remote servers recognize my old Deb 7 keys, but
>> apparently my laptop doesn't recognize the other servers' keys.
>
> I found this wonderful resource:
>
>   http://www.unixlore.net/articles/troubleshooting-ssh-connections.html

That was a JIT find (just in time).... only written up 26th March, 2016.

Once you have everything good, make sure that you change StrictModes
back to default.

I usually restrict with known IP addresses (static ones) and sometimes
with users having to be in a specific group that allows ssh.  Also,
authorized keys enforced instead of passwords.

Cheers
A.