Re: New Deb 8 and no sshd access from other hosts [SOLVED]

On Saturday, March 26, 2016, Andrew McGlashan <andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
On 27/03/2016 4:08 AM, Tom Browder wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 25, 2016 at 12:12 PM, Tom Browder <tom.browder@gmail.com> wrote:
> I found this wonderful resource:
>
>   http://www.unixlore.net/articles/troubleshooting-ssh-connections.html

That was a JIT find (just in time).... only written up 26th March, 2016.

JIT, indeed!  I hadn't noticed the date!  I give my thanks to the author(s). (I haven't found any attribution there yet.)

Once you have everything good, make sure that you change StrictModes
back to default.

Thanks, Andrew. I did but forgot to say so.

I usually restrict with known IP addresses (static ones) and sometimes
with users having to be in a specific group that allows ssh.  Also,
authorized keys enforced instead of passwords.

At the moment I'm the sole user, although I'm considering giving limited access to a few folks later.  How do you manage the server while traveling--some kind of personal VPN?

Best regards,

-Tom