Re: Changing Boot Order -- Happiness!

On Saturday 26 March 2016 21:50:42 Felix Miata wrote:
> Alan McConnell composed on 2016-03-26 14:57 (UTC-0400):
> >...I think it fortunate
> > 	that this E-list contains an expert of the quality of...
>
> Please, let's not think of me so much expert as experienced. I can't count
> the times I've fumbled a keyboard connector into the top port and found the
> BIOS yammering keyboard failure. If I was a true expert it wouldn't have
> taken me nearly two days to recognize you did the equivalent, or typed
> purple when my brain knew green before sending my first thread reply of the
> day.
>
> As long as PS/2 ports have existed, it's unfathomable that BIOS makers
> apparently still have not figured out how to have either port support a
> keyboard at POST time. Instead, many, or maybe most, have taken to
> providing only one, or none.

I didn't know that the "wrong" one worked in the OS!!  I last put the mouse in
the keyboard one, and vice versa, in the days before they were colour coded,
when such errors were almost inevitable, and the result was that neither
worked in anything.  So it didn't really matter, one just switched them
round.  Since then I have been fanatically careful - and the colours make it
so easy.  It is a revelation to me that a keyboard in the green PS2
connection will work at all!!  So you have taught me something too, Felix.
(Not for the first time. :-)  )

Lisi