Re: Changing Boot Order

On Sat 26 Mar 2016 at 12:11:22 (-0400), Alan McConnell wrote:
> On Sat, Mar 26, 2016 at 08:27:10AM -0300, Renaud OLGIATI wrote:
> >
> > > boot order.  No matter what key I press, the system continues
> > > on with a re-boot of my old  wheezy.
> >
> > Question: Are you using an USB keyboard ?
>   	    No, I am using a PS2 keyboard, I believe.  A white
> 	    cable from the keyboard back into the top orifice at
> 	    the back of my standard case.

Belief doesn't cut it. Nor does the colour. It would be more helpful
to know that the plug is circular and about 1cm in diameter.

If that is so, check whether there's a PS/2 mouse as well, and
that it's plugged into the correct socket. (There are drivers that can
cope with reversed mouse/keyboard, but not the BIOS.)

Even if it is, you might try it in the wrong socket.

> 	    I have been told by a kind responder that my keyboard
> 	    is inadequate, and I should borro(buy?) a new one.  Since
> 	    my present keyboard works fine for all purposes up to now,
> 	    I don't see why my difficulty should be attributable to
> 	    the inadequacy of my present keyboard.

Neither do I. That's not the point.

>  	     And there you have it.  The last line of the excerpt
> 	     is exacly the text that appears on my screen.  But
> 	     pressing the Delete key does not have any effect.
> 	     My complaint in a nutshell.
>
> Perhaps here I should mention the COMRESET error message that
> appear on my boot screnn.  After severl iterations of
>        COMRESET failed (errno=-16)
> I get "giving up" and the boot proceeds as normal.  I have done some
> googling, and it seems that COMRESET refers to activating a
> USB device.  I have only my Canon printer attached to my computer
> via a USB device.

I take it that you've removed this device before booting?

> I am taking up a lot of message time here.  But my question is a
> very simple one: can one, after booting, and as root, change the
> BIOS so that the machine will boot from a DVD if one is present,
> or from a USB thumb device, if one is plugged in?

There are lots of experts here, I'm sure. However, there are better
places for posting your problem. At this stage, Debian is not
even involved.

(BTW trying to provoke an error by sitting something on the keyboard,
or indeed disconnecting it altogether, could be a useful diagnostic.)

Cheers,
David.