Re: can you boot a dvd iso file from a tv dvd player?

On 3/22/2016 1:11 PM, Michael Fothergill wrote:

On 22 March 2016 at 19:59, Dan Ritter <dsr@randomstring.org> wrote:
On Tue, Mar 22, 2016 at 05:13:43PM +0000, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> On 22 March 2016 at 16:24, Andrew McGlashan <
> andrew.mcglashan@affinityvision.com.au> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > On 23/03/2016 12:18 AM, Michael Fothergill wrote:
> > > I own a Samsung BD-C5900 Blu ray/DVD player.

There's a reasonable chance that if you attack it with a
screwdriver, you will discover that there is a modern SATA
bluray/DVD drive in there, and you can rip it out and put
it in your computer.

-dsr-

​Would that drive be one that only read bluray and DVD disks or could it be modified to burn them as well?

If the player did not have functions built in for recording the drive is probably just a reader, no
write capability.

It my reach a point where it makes more economic sense for the manufacturers to only create
RW drives than it does for them to have 2 production lines, but don't know if we are there yet,
much less if we were there when your player was manufactured.

Also I expect it's more likely that the player would have a laptop style drive in it which would
require an adapter to handle the different size of SATA data/power connectors if you are looking
to use it in a desktop system.

If the system you are looking to use it in is a laptop, then newer laptops that still include an
optical drive have gone to thinner drives. Outside of that it's a question of how things line up.
The piece that secures the drive to the laptop could probably be swapped with the piece off
of the old drive if necessary or left off if the drive fits tight enough if really necessary. The face
plate is less likely the match up between the two drives, especially between a DVD drive and a
Blue Ray drive.

Later, Seeker