Re: Every opportunity taken (Was: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC...)

On Tue, 15 Mar 2016 08:45:33 +0100 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam Wilson wrote:
>
> > On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:58:00 +0100 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com>
> > wrote:

> >> I like the way you put my thoughts in words. Perhaps we should
> >> establish a club called "really free in open source communities" or
> >> something alike. The Donald Trump way ;)
> >
> > About "open-source"; I'm not really sure how to feel. On the one
> > hand, they did do a good (?) job spreading free software into the
> > corporate/business world and making it mainstream (ish), but on the
> > other hand, their lack of a coherent ethical discourse,
> > corporate-friendliness, and abandonment of the original cause- free
> > software advocacy- has basically meant that free software has been
> > usurped by capital rather than having the liberatory potential it
> > once did.
> >
> > Imagine how far we could spread the ideals of free software if only
> > all those people who currently talk about "Linux" and "open-source"
> > started talking about GNU/Linux and free software! That includes
> > the OSI and the other big individual players in the "open-source"
> > gang.
> >
> > It'll probably never happen; the antagonism is too great. Alas.
>
> Well. Everyone following the Open source/Free Software story would
> know that the circumstances shifted to disadvantage of Open Source
> and Free Software. Things are getting even worse. Windowz mentality
> spreading into the communities with the yonger people.
> I see recently more python code written than real C/C++. Another
> example is the shift in KDE.
> Another reason is the so called "economic crisis" which is not really
> economic, but never mind.

Python being used as opposed to C/C++ has nothing to do with software
freedom. Change in programming mentality, maybe, but free software
dying because of it? No.

What is far more alarming is the prevalence of non-free JS and shit tons
of code in C# for .Net (or Mono, which in many ways is even more
insidious).

> >> What helped me most is the definition of similar behavior by a wise
> >> man, who said, "the worst thing is, they think they are morally
> >> superior to judge"
> >
> > Everyone here is guilty of this.
>
> I'm not sure you have the right to say this :)

Why not? Everyone thinks they're morally superior in one way or
another. I think it's a pretty reasonable point.

Just in the same way that I advocate (mostly) abstinence from non-free
software, and consider myself morally superior (I do, I'm not going to
lie) because of it, others advocate not caring, and consider me silly
because of my position (oh, and my usage of the word "should", of
course). No matter what position you may hold, of course you're going
to consider your position to be superior to those of rival beliefs, and
I don't think that's something that's avoidable or even bad.