Re: Every opportunity taken (Was: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC...)

On Mon, 14 Mar 2016 22:58:00 +0100 deloptes <deloptes@gmail.com> wrote:

> Adam Wilson wrote:
>
> > If you're referring to the great "should" debate, then this is a
> > pretty inaccurate description of what happened. I inadvertently
> > used the word "should" as opposed to "it would be better
> > if" (insert other non-triggering alternative if it suits), and was
> > promptly jumped by everyone for being "intolerant", or "pushy", or
> > some shit.
> >
> > People should (there it is again!) be free to advocate whatever
> > views they want, as well as pursue whatever course of action they
> > may wish without all this ridicule from the "open-source" gang-
> > including avoiding blobs, or thinking that perhaps, just maybe,
> > non-free software is a *bad thing*.
> >
> > But people should also be free to tell others how to act- it may
> > come across as rude, but I don't really care- it is an extension of
> > freedom of speech, provided there is no direct physical coercion
> > involved.
> >
> > "Live and let live" is a touch ironic coming from the very people
> > who launch nit-picky attacks like the ones described in the first
> > place.
>
> I like the way you put my thoughts in words. Perhaps we should
> establish a club called "really free in open source communities" or
> something alike. The Donald Trump way ;)

About "open-source"; I'm not really sure how to feel. On the one hand,
they did do a good (?) job spreading free software into the
corporate/business world and making it mainstream (ish), but on the
other hand, their lack of a coherent ethical discourse,
corporate-friendliness, and abandonment of the original cause- free
software advocacy- has basically meant that free software has been
usurped by capital rather than having the liberatory potential it once
did.

Imagine how far we could spread the ideals of free software if only all
those people who currently talk about "Linux" and "open-source" started
talking about GNU/Linux and free software! That includes the OSI and
the other big individual players in the "open-source" gang.

It'll probably never happen; the antagonism is too great. Alas.

> What helped me most is the definition of similar behavior by a wise
> man, who said, "the worst thing is, they think they are morally
> superior to judge"

Everyone here is guilty of this.