Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Friday 11 March 2016 15:28:57 David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 20:11:51 (+0100), jdd wrote:
> > Le 11/03/2016 19:39, David Wright a écrit :
> > >It would seem odd to support PDF printing and be silent on the
> > > matter in the printer's literature, eg
> > > www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother-mfcj5720dw.pdf
> >
> > says
> >
> > Supporting:
> >
> > JPEG, BMP, PDF, TIFF, PNG
> >

> > I read "PDF".
>
> Yes, I too can read four strings "PDF". On page two they are under the
> heading "Colour Scanner". On page three, they are (ambiguously) under
> the section "PhotoCapture Centre" / "Scan to card". Lots of cheap
> all-in-one scanners will do this. Their output files appear to be a
> few lines of PDF wrapping an image, viz.
>
> %PDF-1.3
> % [4 non-ASCII chars snipped]
> 3 0 obj
> << /Type /XObject
> /Subtype /Image
> /Width 2480
> /Height 3504
> /BitsPerComponent 1
> /Length 54844
> /ColorSpace /DeviceGray
> /Filter /CCITTFaxDecode
> /DecodeParms
> << /K -1 /Rows 3504 /Columns 2480 /BlackIs1 false >>
>
> stream
>
> > It seems than most printers now support natively pdf to be able to
> > print from card (without any interface) when they where supporting
> > ps before.
>
> You must live in a different price bracket from me. When I worked in
> a university, all the (Apple) laser printers had genuine PS
> interpreters inside. Nothing I've ever owned has. They all print
> _JPEGs_ directly because that's what ordinary people want to print:
> photographs, not office documents.
>
> The printers which I've used since, those that can print raw PDF
> files, can do that directly from a stick; they take paper from half a
> dozen trays and put the output in little collated stacks. They also
> stand on the floor!
>
> Cheers,
> David.

Yup, that they do.  They also cost around 35,000 USD to put it on YOUR
floor. And the sw in the $35,000 Minolta dies on about page 102 when
trying to print a pdf book.  And Minolta's factory techs couldn't fix
it, so I wound up using a pdf maker, feeding it 100 pages at a time, and
fed that to the Minolta.  Heck of a way to run a train.

To compare, running the Brother drivers into an HL-3170CDW here, a low
end color laser I bought for something over $400 USD 3 years ago, I have
fed it several pdf's over 500 pages, biggest pdf was 674 pages, which it
printed in duplex mode slowly because turning the paper over takes
longer than print one side, and the only problem was a couple of paper
jams.  And guess what?  When it jams, and you clear the jam, it reprints
both sides of the damaged sheet without any prompting.  What more could
I ask? Brighter colors on normal $8 a ream paper.  But thats it.

Cheers, Gene Heskett
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)