Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 17:48:01 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 15:24:07 +0100, jdd wrote:
>
> > Le 11/03/2016 14:00, Brian a écrit :
> >
> > >2. You are very uneasy about having a proprietary driver for printing on
> > >    your machine, so are seeking a way not to use it and have only standard
> > >    Debian/Linux drivers.
> >
> > this printer seems to be recent and flexible. Chance is he may be a pdf
> > printer.
> >
> > Did you try to send him a pdf without any filter? or try printing a pdf from
> > a ssd card?
>
> The AirPrint facility handles a PDF (it has to).

I don't understand this statement. If a printer doesn't have a PS
interpreter (or emulation thereof), are you saying that it acquires
one by virtue of supporting AirPrint?

> Whether the printer
> handles direct PDF printing is questionable. But it's a decent idea to
> try.

It would seem odd to support PDF printing and be silent on the matter
in the printer's literature, eg www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother-mfcj5720dw.pdf
http://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcj5720dw_us_eu_as

Cheers,
David.