Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Tue, 2016-03-08 at 00:14 +0200, Jarle Aase wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I read some good reviews about this network printer/scanner, and
> noticed
> that it can scan to email or FTP. So I made the flawed(?) assumption
> that the printer would work independently without a software suite /
> drivers from Brother.
>
> I tried to install it with the kde "Print Settings" front-end to
> cups.
> "Print Settings" finds the printer and lists several interfaces -
> however, I am unable to print anything no matter what configuration
> (combination of network protocol / printer driver) I use.
>
> I know that I can download a bash script from Brother.com and run it
> as
> root - and then the printer is supposed to work with Debian.
> However,
> I'm not comfortable doing that. Actually, I'll rather scrap the
> printer
> and get another one that support lpd/ps natively than risk
> compromising
> / messing up my system.
>
> So my question is really if anyone have experience with recent
> Brother
> network printers and know a cups configuration that works with one
> of
> the standard Debian/Linux drivers.
>
> I'm using both Debian Testing and Debian Stable on different
> machines
> right now.

I think you can safely extract the mfcj5720dwcupswrapper-3.0.1-
1.i386.deb file and extract the PPD and install it manually.

There's also a bash script in there (looks like it just installs the
ppd and restart cups) and a binary, not sure what that does.

You might have better luck installing and configuring the printer from
the web GUI.

--
Cheers,
Sven Arvidsson