Re: Does anyone know how to configure a Brother MFC-J5720DW with cups?

On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 12:39:58 -0600, David Wright wrote:

> On Fri 11 Mar 2016 at 17:48:01 (+0000), Brian wrote:
> >
> > The AirPrint facility handles a PDF (it has to).
>
> I don't understand this statement. If a printer doesn't have a PS
> interpreter (or emulation thereof), are you saying that it acquires
> one by virtue of supporting AirPrint?

No. (I think you meant PDF).

The PDL of choice for AirPrint capable devices is PDF. A PDF document
sent to an Airprint capable printer is converted to BUL (the Brother
Unknown Language) as it would be if it was processed on a workstation by
CUPS.

Note that this is a conversion, not an interpretation. An interpreter
produces a raster image and this happens later when the RIP deals with
BUL.

> > Whether the printer
> > handles direct PDF printing is questionable. But it's a decent idea to
> > try.
>
> It would seem odd to support PDF printing and be silent on the matter
> in the printer's literature, eg www.printerbase.co.uk/spec/pdf/brother-mfcj5720dw.pdf
> http://support.brother.com/g/b/spec.aspx?c=eu_ot&lang=en&prod=mfcj5720dw_us_eu_as

The important word is "direct". The MFC-J5720DW doesn't have a  PDF
interpreter. Hence the silence.