Re: XFS on root

On 02/28/2016 01:31 PM, mj wrote:
> On 02/28/2016 03:34 PM, Adam Wilson wrote:
>> Let me get this straight- /boot on XFS, with GRUB, working flawlessly?
>
> I think we have been running root xfs, without a seperate boot partition
> for ages. This has been working at least since wheezy, but I guess even
> earlier.
>
> Just try it.

I have machines with multiple operating systems, and use a "master" GRUB
in its own small partition with the boot code in the MBR, and a "slave"
GRUB embedded in each operating system's boot partition. I don't know if
this is still true (the message is quite old), but it's why I've always
used a separate ext2 /boot partition in that scenario.

http://www.mail-archive.com/bug-grub@gnu.org/msg10770.html

"As we all know, you cannot install grub into an XFS partition because
the XFS superblock is in sector 0 of the partition."

--
Glenn Holmer (Linux registered user #16682)