opengl problem with avidemux

hi,
I have strange (for me) problem with avidemux:
when I run it from my account, the characters are rather big (about 2 mm)
and there is not enough room to display the current time in the
bottom "Time" window, so that only the seconds and milliseconds are
seen.
If run from any other account, the characters are much smaller, and the
time display is correct (and the size of the avidemux window itself
is a little smaller.(205 mm .vs 230 mm)

Looking at the avidemux output, I found this difference:
for me:
    [initGUI]  OpenGL not activated, not initialized
for others:
[initGUI] OpenGL activated, initializing... (the avidemux Display is set to "X11" in both cases in the preferences menu)

Can anybody explain that?
thanks in advance.

best regards,
--