Re: dovecot -- Require different setting for mail_location for each of POP3S and IMAPS protocols

Hi,

On 23/02/2016 4:27 AM, Christian Seiler wrote:
> On 02/22/2016 06:00 PM, Andrew McGlashan wrote:
>> I've tried getting this answered on dovecot mailing list, but not
>> having success so far; so I'm trying here too now (considering it is a
>> Debian system that was upgraded from squeeze-lts to wheezy).
>
> Not tested, but you could try the following (10-mail.conf): set
> location = Maildir in the "namespace private", but set
> mail_location = mbox globally. Since namespaces are an IMAP feature,
> it might be the case that the POP3 server doesn't evaluate the
> namespace stuff at all, and then you'd have two separate settings.
>
> No idea if that will actually work.

I think that will be too risky to try -- I wish I had a proper
test server for it.

Okay, I've decided to simplify things..... It is now POP3S or IMAPS, not
both.

I've adjusted POP3S only users to have their mbox emails in
their Maildir folder.  And advised IMAPS users that they can no longer
do POP3s with a separate email store.

 # mb2md -s /var/mail/$TARGET_USER -d /tmp/$TARGET_USER
 # chown $TARGET_USER:$TARGET_USER /tmp/$TARGET_USER/cur/1*
 # mv /tmp/$TARGET_USER/cur/1* $TARGET_USER_HOME/Maildir/cur/

Also adjusted all the .forward file to save all new emails to Maildir
folders.

Now, I expect that those that only use POP3S, then the emails will be
deleted after "x" number of days, as per their client setup.

Thank you for the ideas.

Kind Regards
AndrewM